Gate of Tears - Teaser

FADE IN:

1   EXT. SPACE - VOYAGER (OPTICAL)                                    1

Voyager in orbit around Class M planet.

2   INT. MESS HALL                                                    2

Torres and Paris at a table, drinking coffee.

PARis
God, this stuff is awful.

TORRES
What do you want from a replicater?  You're just spoiled by Neelix's coffee.

PARis
I guess you really don't know what you have until it's gone.  This stuff definitely needs a Telaxian touch.  No-one can grind a bean like Neelix, that's for sure.  So when are they coming back, anyway?  They've been gone all day now.

TORRES
I don't know.  I guess they're finding a lot of good bargains down there.  I hope Neelix brings back something new.  His menu hasn't changed in awhile.

PARis
I wish I had been selected to go.  I would have missed the Doctor's lecture.

TORRES
Oh, could you believe that?!  "Curious Critters of the Cosmos - The Interstellar Impact of Insects."  Just what I needed.  Two hours of bug pictures!  How creepy.

PARis
It could be a good sign.  Maybe he's running out of material.

TORRES
Ha! I wish.  With my luck, the Captain will bring back some stupid alien artifact, and the Doctor will concoct a week-long seminar about it.

3   EXT. ALIEN MARKET BAZAAR                                          3

Janeway, Neelix & Seven walking. They carry packages of purchased items.

NEELIX
That last one wasn't so bad, Seven, but you've got to work on being more subtle.  Haggling is more of an art than a science.  You have to dance around a little more before you make an offer.

SEVEN
Dance around?

NEELIX
You know, make small talk, be friendlier.  Try to get a little rapport going with the seller before jumping into the issue of money.  They should think your interest in their wares is little more than curiosity.  You don't want them to know how bad you really need it.  That would give them carte blanche to jack the price into orbit.

SEVEN
I believe my acquisitions have been obtained without undue cost.

NEELIX
Yes, yes.  Like I said, that last trade was pretty good.  A {tech} for five  {tech} wasn't too bad.  Still, I think we could have gotten him down to only four.  At least you didn't threaten to assimilate that last fellow.

Janeway
You'll get the hang of it, Seven.  There's no better scavenger in the Delta Quadrant than Neelix, so you've got a good teacher. 

NEELIX
Thank you, Captain.  But I prefer the term bargain hunter, if you don't mind.  Scavenger sounds kind of. oh, I don't know, crude.

Janeway
(jocular) Of course, Neelix. Bargain hunter emeritus.  I meant no offense.

NEELIX
Oh, none taken, Captain.  I just wish we had something to trade which that Ikapian would take for that {tech} of his.  We could really use one of those.

Janeway
I know Neelix, I know.   We'll have to do without it.  His price was just a little too high for my tastes.

SEVEN
Even higher for mine.  I appreciate your turning down his offer, Captain.  It is a comfort to know you value me more than a {tech} unit.

Janeway
(jocular) Well, it's not like I didn't think about it for a second.  (sees Seven's glare) Oh lighten up, Seven,  don't worry, I haven't given up.  We'll find something he'll be willing to trade that thing for.

SEVEN
Perhaps he would consider (notices something to side, in one of the vendor's stalls. stops walking, looks at object) A Star-Fleet issue type-{tech} pistol phaser.

Janeway
A type-{tech} phaser?   They haven't made those in 60 years.  Even if we had one, why would he want (realizes Seven has stopped, and turns) an antique like that.

Janeway and Neelix go to Seven to see what she is looking at.  On a table, amid alien artifacts, is an old style pistol phaser (the type from the original Star Trek series).  Janeway picks it up and examines it.

Janeway
My God, it is a type-{tech} phaser.  What the hell is this doing in the Delta Quadrant?

Alien vendor approaches.

ALIEN
Lovely, isn't it?  I'm afraid it's not charged, but I assure you, it does work.  Feel free to scan it if you like.  It comes from far across the galaxy, from a race unknown in these parts.  It would make a beautiful addition to any exotic weapons collection.

Janeway
Where did you get this from?

ALIEN
I acquired it from a Bleckton trader some time ago.  I deal in exotic and antique weapons, so I thought it would make an ornate addition to my shop.  I do have many fine examples of more modern and potent weaponry, if that is your preference.

SEVEN
Our interest in your wares is only casual curiosity.  We do not place high value on it.

Neelix
Not now, Seven!

JANEWAY
Do you know where he got this from?  How did it get to this part of the galaxy?

ALIEN
He said it originally came through the Gate of Tears, long ago. I'm an expert in weapons throughout this quadrant and since I've never seen its like before, I have no reason to doubt his story.

JANEWAY
Gate of Tears?  What's that?

ALIEN
It's a portal of some sort.  Not unlike a worm hole, but more stable.  It's probably artificial.  They say it leads to a vast network of other such portals that interconnect distant points in the galaxy.

JANEWAY
Could you tell us where to find this gate?  Is it far from here?

ALIEN
Not far. But not close either. It won't do you any good though, if you're looking to go through. No-one's been through the gate in a Phetar's lifetime.

JANEWAY
Why not?

ALIEN
I can't say. The Gatekeeper doesn't let anyone through anymore. He doesn't even answer hails anymore.

JANEWAY
I'd like to try all the same.  Can you tell us how to get there? 

ALIEN
Maybe. It's been awhile since I thought about it.  I can't seem to remember the coordinates.  Hmmmmmm.

JANEWAY
Will buying this help jar your memory? (holds up old phaser) I'll trade you three {tech} for it.

ALIEN
Three, huh? Three will buy you that.   Five will buy you the coordinates, too.

JANEWAY
Deal.  (taps com badge) Janeway to Voyager.  Transport five {tech} to my coordinates right away please. (hands data-pad to alien) I assume you can download the Gate's location onto this?

ALIEN
Of course.  As soon as you can deliver  (five {tech} materialize next to Janeway)  Well, well! I wish the delivery service I use was that speedy! (types on data-pad, hands to Janeway) Here you go. It's been a pleasure doing business with you.

JANEWAY
Oh, I'm sure it has. (taps com badge) Janeway to Voyager. Three to beam up.  Prepare to leave orbit. (to alien) You understand that if these coordinates are phony, we'll be back.

ALIEN
They'll get you there, Captain

Neelix
Say, why do they call it the Gate of Tears anyway?

ALIEN
Because, my friend, they say that hell itself awaits on the other side.

OFF Crew's concerned expressions as they dematerialize.

FADE OUT.
END OF Teaser