The Strangers - Act Three

FADE IN:

18  EXT. SPACE - VOYAGER (OPTICAL)                                   18

At warp speed. Three Okreepon spaceships following alongside.

19  INT: BRIDGE                                                      19

Torres working at control panel.  Janeway enters.

JANEWAY
What have you got, B'ellana?

TORRES
It took me awhile, but I've found the Doctor.  Look. (points to screen of flowing data)

JANEWAY
That looks like the holodeck memory buffer.

TORRES
It is.  And our Doctor is floating around inside it.

JANEWAY
But the Doctor visits the holodeck often.  He hasn't disappeared before.

TORRES
I know.  But look, somehow most of the identifying tags on his program have been wiped-out.  Now the computer thinks he's just another holo-character, and he's lost the ability to govern his own movements in the system.  Without his identifier tags, I couldn't find him with a regular search.  I was only able to pick him out from all the other thousands of holo-characters in the buffer because his memory files are so huge.

JANEWAY
(jocular) Are you saying our Doctor has a fat head?

TORRES
(smiles) I think I should withhold comment on that one.

JANEWAY
So why isn't he in the holodeck?  I was just there.  I didn't see him.

TORRES
Well, he isn't bonded to any particular holo-program, so he's just sort of drifting around the memory buffer, not able to appear in any programs.

JANEWAY
I assume we can get him out of there?

TORRES
I think so, but it's going to take time.  His sub-routines are all over the place.  It'll take me a while to isolate them all for a proper shutdown sequence.  I could force a manual shutdown of his program right now, but an improper shutdown on a program as complex as the Doctor will have severe consequences. Worst case scenario is, if we lose him, we can always activate his back up program.  He'll just lose all memory since his last back-up, about a week ago.

JANEWAY
Well, we'll save that for plan B.  Let's try to get him out in a kinder, gentler manner before we yank him out by the collar.  Is he in any danger in there?

TORRES
I don't think so.  Not for the time being, anyway.  His sub-routines are unbounded, so they may start to break off if he's left floating around in there too long.

JANEWAY
Okay, if that starts to happen, let me know and we'll have to try to flush him out with plan B.  Would it be better for him if we shut down the holodecks?

TORRES
I don't think that's necessary.  Not right now, anyway.  When it comes time to shut him down, then we would need to clear the holodecks.

JANEWAY
Okay, keep on it. (starts to leave, then h turns back to Torres)  B'ellana, Is he conscious in there?

TORRES
Conscious?  I don't know.  I hadn't thought about that.  I don't think so.  If he is, I doubt he'd be able to make much sense of anything, floating around anchor-less in cyber-space like that.

JANEWAY
Okay, it was just a thought.  Carry on.

20  INT: CORRIDOR                                                    20

Paris and Kim walking, dressed in colorful 20th century golf clothes, each with a bag of golf clubs over his shoulder. 

KIM
Come on, Tom, when can we play Augusta?

PARIS
Patience, my friend, patience. Augusta is a very aggressive course.  You're still wet behind the ears, Harry.  Trust me, you need to take this one divot at a time. 

KIM
I guess I should just be grateful that you don't make me putt through miniature windmills anymore.

PARIS
Complaints, complaints!  You're an ace on the green now, Harry.  Have some faith in the grand-master, will ya?  We've just got to work on that nasty hook of yours now.  After that, well maybe, just maybe, someone might mistake you for a golfer.

They run into Seven at a junction.  All three continue down corridor together.  Seven is working with a data-pad.

KIM
Seven, How are you?

SEVEN
(barely glancing away from pad) Busy.  I was required to demonstrate a number of Voyager's functions to the Okreepons.  As a result, I am behind in my usual duties. 

PARIS
Too bad.  Harry and I are gonna shoot the links at Saint Andrews.  Yes sir, there's nothing like a relaxing game of golf after a hard day's work. (jocular) We could use a good caddie.

SEVEN
Golf?   

PARIS
You don't know what golf is?  Good God, didn't they teach you anything in Borg school?  It's only the most perfect game ever invented.

SEVEN
Elaborate.   

KIM
It's an ancient earth game.  Tom taught it to me a couple of months ago.  I thought it sounded sort of silly when he first explained it, but it's really kind of addicting once you get into it.

SEVEN
I do not have time for games, silly or otherwise.  There is work to be done.

PARIS
(jocular) All work and no play makes Seven a dull drone.

SEVEN
Dull is irrelevant.  While you may find it worthwhile to squander away hours in the holodeck, I find my time better spent on more practical activities. (stops walking, turns, looks at Paris) And besides, judging from that attire, I do not believe I wish to become involved in golf.

PARIS
Hey! These are authentic 20th century golf duds.  I replicated them from the historical archives. I did my research.

SEVEN
(looks closely at Paris' shirt) There is a small reptile depicted on your garment.

PARIS
(looks down at shirt) Oh yeah, that. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

SEVEN
(slightly condescending) Then your research is incomplete. (continues walking)

PARIS
(follows) Look, Seven, you're missing the whole point.  It's not about wasting time, or clothing, or little alligators.  It's about having fun. It's about getting out there in the sunshine, driving your ball hard, and keeping it below par.

SEVEN
Par?

KIM
Par is an established number of times, for each hole, that you're allowed to hit the ball.  The more you can keep your hits below par, the better.

SEVEN
(stopping at door to Astro-metrics) So if I understand the concept of golf correctly, the fewer times one hits the ball, the better one is doing?

PARIS
Exactly!  See Harry, there's hope for her yet.

SEVEN
Then I wish the two of you an enjoyable game.  However, keep in mind that no matter how skillfully you play, your scores will not prevail over mine, as I will not hit the ball even once.  Good-evening, gentlemen.

Seven exits corridor into Astro-metrics.  Paris and Kim look at each other, dumbfounded for a moment, then continue walking.

PARIS
(shaking head) Women. They'll never understand golf. Not in a million years.

KIM
She did have a point though.

PARIS
Hey, who's side are you on anyway?!

20a INT: ASTROMETRICS                                               20a

Door shuts behind SEVEN as she enters from her encounter with Paris & Kim in the corridor. She exhales deeply and looks around the room. The conversation with them has stirred uneasy thoughts within her.

21  EXT. SPACE - VOYAGER (OPTICAL)                                   21

At warp speed. Three Okreepon spaceships following alongside.

22  INT: HOLODECK; EMPTY, NO PROGRAM RUNNING                         22

Doctor is working feverishly at the control panel.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
Doctor's personal log.  I'm still trapped inside this photonic purgatory.  I've discovered that I have the ability to influence holo-programs in subtle ways, but I can't seem to control it.  When I deliberately try to make something happen, there is no effect.  It's as if only my subconscious has a voice here.  At least now I've finally found some quiet time to access the control panel.

Doctor hears holodeck doors open behind him, O.C.

DOCTOR
Oh, come on!  At this hour!  Don't any of you people lead real lives?  How am I supposed to find a way out of here if you all keep

Doctor turns, realizes SEVEN has entered, falls silent.

SEVEN
Computer, initiate program Seven of Nine Gamma.  Password 1962RB.

Forest glade scene from the Flotter holo-novel appears.  Scene is attractive, but drab in color.  Seven walks in. Doctor follows.

DOCTOR
This looks like little Naomi Wildman's holo-novel.  She showed it to me once.  This was written for children.  I guess you copied this from hers, huh?  Now what were the names of those two characters again? (snaps fingers as he tries to remember)

SEVEN
(calling out) FlotterTrevis!  Report to this location immediately!

Nearby hedges rustle, and Flotter and Trevis come bounding out. They run to Seven and cower behind her.  They look back at hedges in fear.

TREVIS
Help us, Annika!

FLOTTER
Yes, help us Annika!  It's after us!

SEVEN
Explain.

FLOTTER
There's a monster after us!

TREVIS
It's right behind us!  We have to hide!

SEVEN
(looks at hedge) That is highly improbable.  Describe this monster.

TREVIS
It's horribly ugly! It's hideous!

FLOTTER
It's got big ugly horns and big yellow nasty teeth!

SEVEN
Can you be more precise?

FLOTTER
Okay, okay.  Sure. Let's see.  It looks a lot like,  like...  like that! (points to rustling hedge)

TREVIS
(terrified) It's here!

Flotter and Trevis cower further behind Seven, shaking with fear.  Hedge rustles again, then a small billy-goat emerges and bah's.

SEVEN
(caviling sigh) You may stand down from your defensive postures.  It is merely a Capra hircus.

FLOTTER
A what?!

TREVIS
It sounds even more ferocious when she says it!

SEVEN
Your apprehensions are unjustified.  Observe.

Seven walks over to goat, picks some grass, and feeds it to goat.

TREVIS
Oh! He doesn't seem so bad!

FLOTTER
Yeah, look!  He was just hungry, that's all.  That's why he was after you, tree-boy, Looking for a snack!

TREVIS
He was not!  I'll bet he was thirsty!  That's why he was chasing you, bubble-breath!

FLOTTER
Was not!  He was chasing you!

TREVIS
Not me, you!

SEVEN
(impatient) Silence, both of you!  Now, you promised I could see them today.

TREVIS
See what?

FLOTTER
(shoves Trevis lightly) You know very well what she means!

TREVIS
Oh yeah, I remember. Sorry.  I must be tired from saving you both from the monster.  Okay, this way, follow me.

Trevis and Flotter lead. Seven follows.  Doctor walks alongside.

DOCTOR
Annika, huh?  You don't even let any of the crew call you that.  You're a complex woman, Seven.  Just when I'm beginning to think I have you figured out.

They round a corner and find a dog suckling young puppies.  Seven kneels, picks up one of the puppies. She smiles very slightly as she strokes it.

FLOTTER
Careful now, they're still very young.  So what do you think?  Aren't they as wonderful as I said they would be?

SEVEN
They are (pause) aesthetically agreeable.

TREVIS
Great!  That's great! (aside, to Flotter) Ummm, what does that mean?

FLOTTER
(giggling) She thinks they're cute!

TREVIS
Oh!  Great!  That's Great!  Hey Annika, want to play Kotiskot with me?

SEVEN
(attention on puppy) Perhaps another time.  I wish to experience these infant canines now.

FLOTTER
(to Trevis) She beats you every time anyway.  Why do you keep playing her?

TREVIS
(defensive) I've just been having an unlucky streak lately, that's all.

FLOTTER
Thirty-six games?  That's not a streak, that's a record.

TREVIS
Well I could beat you, aqua-boy!

FLOTTER
Could not, bark breath!

TREVIS
Could so!

SEVEN
(interrupting, annoyed) You two may wish to flee once again.  I believe I hear a real monster approaching now.  A Lepus Cuniculus, if I'm not mistaken.

FLOTTER
(looks around) I don't hear anything.

TREVIS
Yeah, me neither.

SEVEN
My auricular implant allows me to detect sounds beyond your range of hearing.  Rest assured, a Lepus Cuniculus is approaching.  Trust me, you do not want to be around one of those.

FLOTTER
(looking around, nervously) You know, I think I do hear something now.

TREVIS
Yeah, m-m-me too.  and it sounds pretty big!

FLOTTER
a-a-and close!

TREVIS
(panicky) Flotter, do you think I could outrun a Lepus Cuni...  whatever-she-said?

FLOTTER
I don't know.  I don't have to.  All I have to do is outrun you!

Nearby hedge begins to rustle.  Flotter runs away, shrieking in horror.

TREVIS
Hey!  Wait for me!  Follow us, Annika!  We'll save you!  We know all the good hiding spots!

Trevis runs away, screaming also. Seven watches as they flee. Hedge rustles again, and a small bunny rabbit emerges.  Seven looks at rabbit, smiles slightly, then returns her attention to the puppies. Doctor kneels down beside her.

DOCTOR
It was nice of you to warn them.  They might have been torn to bits.  I see your sense of humor is developing nicely. (watches Seven stroke puppy)  I guess Borg maturation chambers don't make for much of a childhood, do they?  It's funny, you seem so strong and confident all the time.  It makes it so easy to forget that you were robbed of your childhood.  I never had one either.  I never really missed it, but I'm not really human.  You are, though.  There's not just a woman behind all that bio-mechanical technology.  There's a child in there too.  A child that never had the chance to play with other children. Or puppies.  I'm glad you found a way to feed that inner child, Seven.  I might have suggested some sort of therapy like this for you, but,  I guess I assumed you would have refused.  You probably would have.  Some answers you just have to find on your own. (sighs)  I shouldn't be here.  I shouldn't be seeing this.  This is a part of you that you don't want anyone else to see.  I have no right to intrude. (pause) I have a part of me like that too.  I care for you, Seven.  I'm not sure why...  Perhaps because we're so alike in many ways.  I just wish I could find the courage to tell you how I feel. I wish you could see the affections I keep hidden from you. Somehow.

As the Doctor speaks, flowers silently and gracefully bloom on the plain green hedge behind them.  Neither he nor Seven notice them.

TORRES' com VOICE
(interrupting) Torres to Seven of Nine.

SEVEN
(taps com badge) Seven here.

TORRES' com VOICE
Seven, Can you report to the Bridge?  I need your help with the Doctor.  I almost had him ready to extract, but his program suddenly went haywire.  It's all over the memory buffer again.  It's like all of his sub-routines just fired-up at once.

SEVEN
Acknowledged.  I am on my way. (to puppy) You remain here with your maternal unit.  I will return later.

She puts down the puppy, stands and walks toward exit. Doctor stands also, but doesn't follow.  As she passes by the hedges, they all bloom with flowers in her wake. Doctor sees the flowers and is astounded, but Seven doesn't notice, since it happens behind her.

SEVEN
Computer, end program.

Everything vanishes, except the Doctor, and a few rose petals that flutter to the floor at his feet. Seven exits. Doctor picks up a couple of the fallen petals, but they quickly vanish in his hand.

DOCTOR
(sadly, quietly) Good-bye, Seven.  I'll be right here.  If you need me.

OFF Doctor's melancholy expression...

FADE OUT.

END OF ACT THREE