The Strangers - Act Five

FADE IN:

27  EXT. SPACE - VOYAGER (OPTICAL)                                          27

Warp speed, with 3 alien spaceships following alongside.

28  INT: HOLODECK; EMPTY                                             28

Doctor is working feverishly at control panel.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
Doctor's personal log.  I have to find a way out of the holodeck so I can warn the crew about the alien impostors before their fleet intercepts Voyager.  I must get something in here that I can download my program to.  I'm running out of ideas. It's no wonder that I'm starting to feel a little frazzled.

Doctor's image fizzles for a beat, and then returns to normal.

DOCTOR
(looks at hands) Come on!  This is hard enough without my hands disappearing!  What else can go wrong?

Doors open and Ensign Schindler enters.

DOCTOR
For God's sake Ensign, not now!  I don't have time for your shenanigans!

SCHINDLER
Computer, initiate program Schindler-1.  Password 6979SM. 

Dungeon scene with Mistress Seven hologram materializes.

DOCTOR
Ensign! Don't you see? I have work to do!  I have to find something that I can transfer my program to, I don't have time for your silly games!  I need...

SEVEN HOLogram
(interrupts by cracking whip) Worship me, you pathetic slug!

DOCTOR
(Gets idea) I need Seven!  Ensign!  You're a genius!  Computer, is the memory capacity of Seven of Nine's neural-implant enough to hold my program?

COMPUTER
Affirmative.  However, data intake of that magnitude will overload neural-implant in approximately nine minutes.

DOCTOR
Oh.(wrings hands) I don't think I have any choice though.  I can't think of any other way. (Doctor fizzles again) Damn! I'm running out of time!

29  INT: BRIDGE                                                      29

Seven and Torres working at console.  Janeway, Pleetos and Arginess enter.  Alarm chimes from control panel.

JANEWAY
Report, Lieutenant.

TORRES
It's the Doctor, Captain.  We're losing him.  I think it's time for plan B.

JANEWAY
All right, get to it.  Mister Kim, anybody in the holodecks?

KIM
(checks panel) Yes, Ma'am. Ensign Schindler is in holodeck two.

JANEWAY
(to com) Janeway to Schindler.  I'm sorry to interrupt but I need you to exit the holodeck.  We've got to purge the Doctor now. (Schindler acknowledges over com) B'ellana, how long?

TORRES
It'll be nap time for the Doctor in about two minutes, Captain.

30  INT: HOLODECK; EMPTY, NO PROGRAM RUNNING                         30

Schindler exiting. The Doctor stands near the door, ushering him out.

DOCTOR
(Sarcastic) Thanks for visiting Doctor Deviant's dungeon of delight! Tell your friends about us! (doors shut. Doctor moves to panel) Computer, on my mark I'll need you to initiate a Borg transponder signal. That should get Seven's neural-receptors to open.  As soon as they do, I want you to transfer my program to the memory area of her neural-implant.  I'm entering the codes necessary to do that. (types on panel)

COMPUTER
Acknowledged.

DOCTOR
How long did you say it would take before my program permanently damages her neural-implant?

COMPUTER
Approximately nine minutes.

DOCTOR
Okay, when you transfer me to her memory, set my program to automatically self-delete after eight minutes. Got that?

COMPUTER
Affirmative.

DOCTOR
(to self) Okay, now I just have to get her down here. Computer, initiate program Seven of Nine-Gamma, Password 1962RB.  Set it so that it can only be shut down manually from this location.

Flotter Holo-novel glade scene appears.

DOCTOR
This should get her attention.

31  INT: BRIDGE                                                      31

Seven and Torres at console. Janeway, Pleetos & Arginess chatting.

JANEWAY
(to Pleetos) We should be coming upon your welcome armada in about fifteen minutes, Captain.  I'll be interested to see... (Alarm chimes from Torres' control panel) What's going on?

TORRES
We were just getting ready to purge the Doctor, but a program has started up on holodeck 2. (confused) But there's no-one in the holodeck.

JANEWAY
Which program is it?

TORRES
It's a personal program, Captain.  It's designated as (reads display, then looks up at Seven) Seven of Nine-Gamma?

SEVEN
(surprised) I do not know why that program has engaged, Captain.  I shall terminate it immediately.  (taps panel, then looks up, shaking head) I cannot terminate the program remotely, Captain.  With your permission, I will go to the holodeck and shut it down from there.

Janeway curtly nods her okay. Seven EXITS.

32  INT: HOLODECK; FLOTTER HOLO-NOVEL GLADE SCENE                    32

Seven enters, moves to panel and types.  Flotter scene vanishes.

SEVEN
(to com) Seven of Nine to Bridge.  The holodeck is now clear.  You may proceed.

DOCTOR
(steps behind Seven) I'm sorry, Seven. I don't think this is going to be very pleasant. For either of us. Computer, initiate Borg transponder signal.

Signal noise is heard. Implant over Seven's eye glows. Doctor vanishes. Seven clutches head, gasps in pain, then falls over.

33  INT: BRIDGE                                                      33

Another alarm chimes on console near Torres.

JANEWAY
(slightly annoyed) Now what?

TORRES
(confused) I don't know, Captain.  I was just about to extract the Doctor and suddenly he just vanished!  He's not in the holo-buffer anymore.  He's gone!

34  INT: HOLODECK; EMPTY                                             34

Seven sitting on floor, propped against wall.  She is moaning in pain; disorientated and dazed.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
Seven? Seven?  Can you hear me?

SEVEN
(weak) Who is there? I cannot see you.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
It's me, the Doctor.  I'm inside your neural-cortex.  I had to transfer myself here from the holo-deck buffer.  It was the only way I could get out.

SEVEN
(pressing fingers to temples) Pain!!

DOCTOR (v.o.)
I know, I know! I'm sorry!  But I need your help.  We have to expose these aliens for what they really are, and right now!  Do you think you can get to the Bridge?  I'll explain on the way.

SEVEN
(gets up) I believe so. I will try.

Seven exits.

35  INT: CORRIDOR                                                    35

Seven walking, but very awkwardly.

SEVEN
Doctor, I am accustomed to sharing my thoughts with others, but not my body.  If you will kindly leave motor control to me.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
I'm trying! Old habits are hard to break.

Seven staggers, almost falls, catches herself on wall.

SEVEN
I am very disoriented. It is difficult to function. (touches head) The pain is (grimaces) intolerable!

DOCTOR (v.o.)
You'll need a pain suppressant if we're going to make it. Sickbay is just ahead.

36  INT: SICKBAY                                                     36

Paris is showing around two humanoid OkreeponsSeven enters.

PARIS
Hi Seven. Wow, you don't look so hot.

SEVEN
(as the Doctor would speak) Mister Paris!  What have you done to my Sickbay?!  It's a mess!

PARIS
Your Sickbay? Since when? But hey, if you want it, make yourself at home.

SEVEN
(regains composure) No. No thank you. I am here to pick up some instructional programs the Doctor had prepared for me. I believe they are in his office. May I?

PARIS
(shrugs) Be my guest.

Seven enters office, watches through window as Paris and aliens talk.

SEVEN
Doctor, please refrain from using my tongue without my permission.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
I'm sorry.  It just slipped out.  You'll find some pain suppressant over there.

Seven prepares hypo and injects herself.  She gasps in relief.

DOCTOR (v.o.) (CONT.)
There, that's better. Hey, I think I can adjust your ocular implant so you can see our guests without their makeup on.  Just a second.

POV - Seven. The two humanoids near Paris blur, then transform to their true, grotesque aspect. Paris keeps talking with them, not noticing any change.  Return camera to Seven.

SEVEN
(repulsed) I recognize them now. Species 34647. They use advanced isomorphic projection technology to entrap other species for study, and they are less than compassionate to their subjects.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
So I've noticed. Can we stop them?

SEVEN
A simple polaron burst should disrupt their projected facades.  I can generate one from Astro-metrics.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
Well, let's get going then.  You're the one with the legs!

Seven EXITS.

37  INT: ASTRO-METRICS                                               37

Seven enters, awkwardly, looking dazed and disoriented again.

SEVEN
I am growing faint again, Doctor.  The pain has returned.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
The suppressant is wearing off already. I need to get out of you now, or you'll be permanently brain damaged.  Transfer me back to the holo-buffer, right away.

SEVEN
(checking panel) There is no time.  Sensors show the alien fleet is only moments away.  If Voyager is to evade them in time, I must initiate the polaron burst immediately.  Voyager's well-being is paramount to my own. (starts tapping console, pauses) You... You do not agree. I can feel it.  You...

DOCTOR (v.o.)
(awkwardly, embarrassed) Seven, I...

SEVEN
(curtly) I know, Doctor, I know.  Say nothing.  We must discuss this, but now is not the time.  Initiating polaron burst. (glances upward) Hold on in there, Doctor.

She taps panel. Energy surge flashes from console, knocking her over.

38  INT: BRIDGE                                                      38

KIM
I have Chakotay on the line, Captain.

JANEWAY
On screen.

Chakotay appears on main viewer, looking normal.

CHAKOTAY (-- ON SCREEN)
Captain, their fleet is approaching.

JANEWAY
We see them, Commander.  We're vacuuming the red carpet as we speak.  Have you had a chance to...

Polaron burst flashes through Bridge. When it hits Pleetos and Arginess, they transform to their alien selves.  Chakotay's image on screen changes to the bound version the Doctor saw earlier.

JANEWAY
What the hell?!

CHAKOTAY (--ON SCREEN)
(weakly) Captain...  help us.

Tuvok and Kim draw phasers on aliens, but the aliens dematerialize.

KIM
(checking display) They've beamed off the ship, Captain!  All of them.

JANEWAY
Follow their lead, Harry.  Can you get a lock on Chakotay and Neelix?

KIM
(taps furiously at console) Got 'em, Captain!  They're in Sickbay!

39  EXT. SPACE - VOYAGER (OPTICAL)                                   39

Polaron burst radiates out from Voyager.  When it strikes the 3 Okreepon ships, their beautiful guises are blown away, and more sinister-looking versions remain.  The 3 ships open fire on Voyager.

40  INT: BRIDGE                                                      40

Bridge rocks from alien fire.  Muffled explosions are heard.

TUVOK
They are firing, Captain.  Shields are up and holding.

JANEWAY
Return fire.  Helm, evasive maneuvers, get us the hell out of here!

41  EXT. SPACE - VOYAGER (OPTICAL)                                   41

Voyager and alien ships exchange fire. Voyager flees. Aliens follow.

42  INT: ASTRO-METRICS                                               42

CU - Seven, angle from directly overhead. She is lying on floor, face up, dazed, quivering, nose bleeding. During following dialog, camera pulls back slowly, exposing first her body, then surrounding Astro-metrics lab. Sounds of battle and combat chatter are heard in the background. Background noises fade out as dialog progresses.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
Seven?  Seven, can you hear me?

SEVEN
(weakly, in pain) Doc...  tor.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
No, don't speak. Save your strength. They'll be coming to help you soon. Don't worry, you're going to be all right.

ComPUTER
Eight Minutes.  Initiating EMH deletion sequence.

DOCTOR (v.o.)
(quietly) I have to go now, Seven. My time is up. There isn't room for me here anymore.  I don't think you're going to remember much of these last few minutes.  I wish I could remember them forever.  having been so close to you.  having been a part of you.  But I won't remember any of it.  That part of me, those moments, will be lost.  My mind is going, Seven.  I can feel it being erased.  I can feel it...

SLOW dissolve to:

43  EXT: SPACE (OPTICAL)                                             43

Stars streaking toward camera at warp speed.  No ships visible.

DOCTOR (v.o. - Continued)
(slowly, fading to whisper) Eyes, look your last.  Arms, take your last embrace, and lips, oh you, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss.   Good-night...  Annika.  a thousand times...  Good-night.

Computer chimes faintly, indicating the Doctor is gone.  Stars continue to streak by silently for a few beats, then Voyager slips into frame, moving slowly away from camera at warp.

JANEWAY (v.o.)
Captain's Log, Star-date xxxxx.  We have eluded our alien pursuers and are back on our original heading.

44  INT: SICKBAY                                                     44

Camera pans over Chakotay and Neelix asleep in bunks, bandaged, nurse tending to them. Camera moves to Seven sitting on table, Doctor scanning her.

JANEWAY (v.o. - CONTINUED)
We lost the Doctor's primary program so I have ordered his back up initiated to treat Chakotay and Neelix. He also has a third patient that we weren't expecting.

Janeway enters and moves to Doctor and Seven.

jANEWAY
How are the patients, Doctor?

DOCTOR
Well, I pulled enough tubes and wires out of the Commander and Mister Neelix to build my own Borg cube, but I think they'll make a full recovery.  A few days of rest ought to do it.

jANEWAY
(looks at Seven) And our hero here?

DOCTOR
Is much better off than those two.  She's suffered some neurological trauma that I can't explain, but I don't see any permanent damage.  Aside from a probable headache, she should be fit for duty.  If she feels up to it.

SEVEN
I do.    Hero, Captain?

jANEWAY
The polaron burst that exposed the aliens originated in Astro-metrics.  That's where we found you, alone and unconscious.  The log indicates you triggered it.

SEVEN
I..  I have no memory of that event.

jANEWAY
What do you remember?

SEVEN
I was in the holodeck. I had just shut it down when..  after that I can't...   I recall pain.  And, somehow, comfort.  Then I was here. (shakes head) I am sorry, Captain. I cannot explain further. (looks at Doctor)

DOCTOR
Well don't look at me, I had nothing to do with it. I understand that I was stuck in the holodeck the whole time.  Speaking of memories, I've lost over a week's worth.  I hope someone is going to catch me up on events around here.

jANEWAY
Don't worry, Doctor.  We'll make sure you're fully briefed.  Carry on.  Keep me posted on their recovery.  If anyone needs me, I'll be in Engineering. 

Janeway exits.   Doctor puts away scanner.

SEVEN
May I be dismissed now, Doctor?

DOCTOR
Yes, I think so.  But please regenerate for a few hours longer than usual.

SEVEN
I will comply. (hops off table) Good-night, Doctor. (turns to leave. pauses.  quietly, to self, with confused demeanor) Good-night. A thousand times, good-night.

DOCTOR
A thousand times the worse to want thy light.  Romeo and Juliet, Act 2, Scene 1.  What brings this up?

SEVEN
(uncertain) I do not know.  I do not know why those words are in my thoughts. (shakes head, starts toward door, pauses again and turns back) Doctor, you are an expert in Shakespearean theater, are you not?  I understand you maintain some plays on the holodeck.

DOCTOR
I dabble in the barb's verse from time to time. (suspicious) Ummm, Why do you ask?

SEVEN
I would be curious to learn more about those works. Perhaps you could enlighten me, as you have with so many other subjects.  Perhaps you know a role that might be suitable for me to attempt.

DOCTOR
Uh, why yes. I think I know just the role.

SEVEN
Then I look forward to your mentoring.  Perhaps we could begin this evening.  If you are available?

DOCTOR
Yes.  Yes, this evening then.

Seven nods, turns and exits.

DOCTOR
(Exhales sharply in relief, then gets look of anxious realization) Oh-oh, I've got to delete her from that play! and quick!  Nurse, take over here!  Computer, transfer EMH to Holodeck 2!

Doctor vanishes.  After a couple of beats, Doctor reappears. He looks around, spots his mobile emitter on a nearby table, picks it up, smiles, sticks it on his sleeve and gives a curt nod of satisfaction.  Doctor exits through door, whistling "You are my sunshine."

45  EXT. SPACE - VOYAGER (OPTICAL)                                   45

Voyager slowly moving away from camera at warp speed, with VO of Doctor's continued whistling.
FADE OUT.

END OF ACT five